Nov 29, 2010

Letter to NA Sports RE: HST Tax

To: NA Sports

Subject: Subaru Ironman Canada HST Tax

I am addressing the HST tax that you intend to charge me for registering for the 2011 Ironman Canada. NA Sports does not have my permission to charge or have access to my credit card. If this charge is implemented I will file a fraud claim with my credit card company.

I am surprised that NA Sport would charge their customer's credit card after the fact. On Monday, August 30, 2010 I authorized the amount of $603.75, to Active.com, for the registration 2011 Ironman Canada. I am sure Canada gave the business community a notice of the HST Tax. If NA Sports made a mistake in not implementing or collecting the HST Tax at the time of registration, that is NA Sports mistake not mine. And the fact that you chose to belatedly pass this on is not only poor customer service but may approach legal uncertainty. NA Sport does not have the authorization, to have, save or access my credit card.

If, NA Sports has my credit card information, you must have received it from Active.com which I believe is a violation of their privacy policy and I do not recall giving Active.com permission to store and charge my credit card at a future date nor share that information with any one else. And I certainly would hope that Active.com would not willingly enter into such an arrangement to perform the charge on NA Sport's behalf.

Do not charge my credit card for the HST Tax. If this is something you cannot agree with, please refund my entire 2011 Ironman Canada registration fee, in the amount of $603.75. I give Active.com the authorization to refund, in full ($603.75), my 2011 Ironman Canada registration fee. Please advise me of your intent.

Sincerely,

Kevin Koresky

2 comments:

  1. Kevin, for the record you do know that Mike Riley the voice of Ironman is a founder of Active right?

    Did you get a response ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fitness providers and race providers should be exempt from the HST to encourage health and fitness. A healthy population will take the stress off of the struggling health care system, lowering the rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
    Yours in fitness, Ron Zalko, Founder of Ironman Canada

    ReplyDelete