Jan 12, 2011

Calling in Sick on a Training Day

For the past few days I have been fighting a head/sinus cold. I have been downing medications trying to rid my system of this dam thing.

On Saturday morning I had to make a decision: stay in bed and heal up or go out on the road for a training ride. I opted for the training ride. This was “not very smart.”

10-miles into the training ride and I started seeing spots. My head started to spin, lungs were burning and all I wanted to do was curl up on the bus stop bench and sleep. I swear I could feel my cold migrating, south, into my chest.

At that point I reeled in my brother and friend, to tell them I was heading back to the car. My friend continued on, while my brother and I ended up taking our time riding back to Del Mar, where we started. We decided to take our time, to sight see some of the southern California coastline beaches.

Sunday morning I felt the wrath of my not so very smart decision to train while sick. I woke up with a flemmy and congested chest cold. Three days later and I am still out of training commission.

Moral to the blog: Think before you slip into the pool, jump onto the bike or slide your running shoes on while you are sick. One day of training while sick, may turn into 1-2 weeks of lost time of work and training.

I should have called in Sick on a Training Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment