Jan 26, 2011

Complete(r) or Compete(itor)?

In the sport of triathlon there are two types of athletes, competitors and completers. Which one are you?

The dictionary offers these definitions (Verbs):

Compete: to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.; engage in a contest; vie: to compete in a race; to compete in business.

Complete: to make whole or entire, to make perfect, to bring to an end; finish, to execute successfully.

In 2001, I was introduced to the sport of triathlon through friends and charity. After a few months of training for my first triathlon, the LA Triathlon, I knew where I ranked and I was able to figure out my goals in this amazing sport. I wanted to make new friends, make a complete lifestyle change, inspire/motivate others and complete every race I start.

Going into the 2006 season I decided I was going to do IM Wisconsin. So, I trained, trained and trained, like you are supposed for an Ironman. On race morning I lined up on the starting line cocky (i.e. Today I’m gonna be a competitor), loosing sight of the goals that I had set back in 2001. And on this day, I was going to pay for my actions “karma baby!”

When the cannon sounded, to send the athletes off onto their 140.6; I was overly confident. That quickly changed when I got onto the bike course. [Jump forward] 75% of the way through the bike course and I am done. I received my first DNF!

These three letters (DNF) on my triathlon resume has grounded me and put me in my place. It is now 2011 and I have completed every race I have started including 2 Ironman races because I stay focus on my triathlon goals.

I know my place in this sport, I am a complete(r).

It doesn’t matter which type of triathlete you are. Having fun, making friends, inspire/motivate others and living a positive and healthy lifestyle is the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment