Dec 7, 2010

The 40 Years, that made me who I am today!

The first 40 years of my life has been a fun journey. I was born and raised in Michigan; mainly by my father and grandmother. I have one sister and a bother. My sister has three daughters and my brother has two sons.

Dec. 7, 1970: Born in Warren, Michigan
1977 Parents divorced and my father, brother and I moved in with my grandmother
1977-83 Attended Crescentwood Elementary School
1984-86 Attended Oakwood Jr. High School
1983 Discovered Break-Dancing
1984 Lost my best friend Kenny Myers
1986-89 Attended East Detroit High School
1988 Lost my dog Rusty
1990 My whole life changed the day a sawed-off shotgun was shoved down my throat. It was all the reason I needed to join the US Navy, it turned out to be the best decision of my life.
1990 Joined the US Navy (Traveled around the world 2X’s) (Stationed in San Diego)
1990 Persian Gulf War
1992 Somalia
1992-98 Engaged –Never married/No children
1994 Honorably Discharged for the US Navy
1995 Lived in Michigan
1996 Lived in San Diego/Phoenix (Worked on Bank One Ballpark)/San Diego
1996-98 Attended Jr. College
1998 Lost my Grandmother
1997-99 Attended U. of Phoenix –Business Admin.
2000 Jayk came into my life
2001 I was introduce to triathlon through Team in Training
2002-05 Lived in Denver Colorado
2005-Present San Diego
2007 & 08 Finished IMFL & IMAZ
2008 Launched Finishline-Multisport.Com
2010 Lost Jayk to cancer (I miss him everyday)
2010 Kona & Rudi came into my life

I am not one to dwell on what could be classified as “Bad Days”. When I make mistakes, and trust me I have had my share, it is just another chance to learn and become a better person.

Looking back on the first 40 years of my life and to say I have no regrets, I would be lying. Though my list of regrets is very small, it one that has impacted my life the most. I think most of you know my biggest regret is not spending more time with the one life that has meant most to me; Jayk. If I had one wish in life, it would be to have a healthy Jayk sitting next to me.

In 40 years, I have a lot to be thankful for my family, friends, health and the opportunities life has presented me. I have never gauged success by the amount of pennies one holds, I gauge success by difference I can make before my time is up.

I look forward to where the journey of life takes me next.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the piece Kevin...we thank you for being a part of our lives...the next 40 will be just as interesting, only better!
    bmom and bdad
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kevin. Really honest and moving. You never know when someone out there might be going through something tough, and your words might be the only thing that brings a ray of hope to their life today.
    You're inspiring because you're living a very authentic life... being true to yourself.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -brian

    ReplyDelete